How to protect seniors -- older parents, relatives and loved ones -- who live alone. Tips on what to do in case of an emergency. Safety ideas.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Worries about my Elderly Mom

You know, the story about Ingrid can not leave me. I have an elderly Mom who lives alone. It’s not easy going to sleep at night thinking about my mother being alone. It’s even harder concentrating when I’m at work. I call her everyday at least 2 to 3 times. She doesn’t always answer the phone, and I feel like dropping everything and running over there to check on her. It is not an easy situation since I have a household of my own to take care of. I would move her in with me, but she will not even think about leaving her home. She would feel like she was being babysat. She would just about kill me if I mentioned the N word. (Nursing home) She worked hard all her life to pay for her home and she’s not leaving and that’s that.

I managed to make her home as safe as possible by putting in night lights so she can see where she’s going in the middle of the night when she gets up to use the restroom. I have cleared a path, tied up cords, and installed grab bars in her shower. I feel a little better, but there is always that thought in my mind: Is she okay? This is my life right now and it seems like it is only getting worse. I think I should consider getting her Life Alert one of these days.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Life Alert is the leading emergency response company, dedicated to solving home safety issues. With a touch of a button, Life Alert sends help fast, 24/7, whether it’s for a medical, fall, fire, or home invasion emergency, even when you can’t reach a phone. Life Alert saves a life from a catastrophic every 10 minutes and has received over 25,000 testimonials from grateful customers since 2008, and was the ONLY company former Surgeon General, Dr. C. Everett Koop, endorsed until his death in 2013. Founded in 1987, Life Alert has become the industry leader in personal protection but also has become a pop culture icon with their classic slogan, “Help! I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!” which was ranked #1 by USA TODAY in its list of the most memorable TV commercials. In 2008, “The Martha Stewart Show” featured Life Alert and recommend them to all of the patients at the Martha Stewart Center for Living while pointing out that Life Alert is "so inexpensive yet so vital for people." Life Alert, their slogan and/or pendant have been featured in many T.V. shows such as 30 Rock, Supernatural, The Goldbergs, and Jay Leno frequently referred to their famous slogan on The Tonight Show.